Our Design Philosophy
We never lose sight of our supporting role.
After 20 years and over 500 successful projects, we have learned a few lessons about new product design. They guide how we engage with you.
- We recognize that it is your idea, your product, your patents, and your awards. We provide critical guidance and creative energy, we sweat the details, and we drive your project forward every way we can. We feed our egos with your success.
- A variety of very talented people must work closely together. Great product design begins with a great team.
- Effective communication is critical. That's why our process is centred on close collaboration with you and your team. That's also why we invest in the best tools for communicating remotely and presenting design concepts.
- The right process yields better design and reduces risk. Our Lean Product Design Process has been refined over many projects. It is based on rapid iterations that produce concrete ideas and tangible prototypes that can be viewed, assessed, tested, and refined.
- The latest tools save time and money. We invest in the most sophisticated tools for design, product visualization, engineering analysis, and prototyping.
In our 20 years we have successfully completed over 500 projects for companies around the world.
Kevin Bailey founded Design 1st over 20 years ago, after more than a decade as a senior product designer. We have grown to become one of Canada's largest, most prolific physical product design specialists.
We enjoy designing simple but compelling products, and we excel at developing the most technically challenging products for both indoor and extreme outdoor environments. We have unmatched expertise and tools to tackle tricky thermal, stress, motion, safety, and materials problems.
Based in Ottawa, Canada, we serve clients located around the world, and the products that we have helped them launch are used by billions of people.